metro electrical logo

ELECTRICAL SAFETY AT HOME

AWARD WINNING
CUSTOMER FOCUSED
EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE
(08) 9472 3565

Electrical safety at home

ELECTRICAL SAFETY AT HOME

 

Safety in your home

Safety switches are in place in your switchboards for a reason to keep you and your family safe when something electrically is not functioning properly.

So do not ignore a safety switch that constantly trips. Call us at Metro Electrical 24 Hour Electricians to inspect your home for any electrical fault. We are available 24/7 and will do not charge a call out fee.

Metro Electrical 24 Hour Electricians would like to give you some advice on keeping you and your family and friends safe in your home. When renovating or painting do not attempt to remove any light or power outlet switches from the wall. If the power or light is turned off there is still live wire attached at the back of them. We advise you to use masking tape around these switches. Also if you are cleaning walls be aware as to not let any water come in contact with any lighting or power outlet switches. This can cause the power to trip or even cause an electric shock to yourself.

Electrical safety at home

What to do in case of an electrical emergency

In the case of someone having experienced an electric shock always call 000 for medical assistance.

  • If the person was using an electrical appliance and it is safe to do turn of power and remove the plug from the power outlet.
  • If you cannot do this use something that will not conduct electricity to free the victim from the electric current. Non- conducting could be anything made of rubber, dry wood, dry cloth or heavy insulation gloves.
  • Don’t touch the victims skin until you are completely sure that they are completely free of electrical current.
  • Always protect yourself and anyone else from further shocks.
  • If your trained in CPR perform CPR to resuscitate the victim but make sure there is no electrical current contact with the victim first.
  • If live high voltage electrical cable is involved do not attempt to remove. Always call 000 immediately.

In the case of an electrical fire use of blankets and extinguishers are a great way to smother small fires, but you should always call 000 in the case of an emergency.

  • Only if it is safe to do so, turn off and unplug electrical appliances that maybe affected.
  • There is different fire extinguishers for different types of fire you will need to choose one that is appropriate for the intended use.
  • Never throw water on an electrical fire as you could electrocute yourself.
  • If your clothing catches fire then drop and roll until flames are extinguished.
  • If that scares you then it was meant to as electricity is not something you can take lightly. It can be lethal if treated with care. That is why you must never attempt to carry out any electrical work if you are not a qualified electrician. Make sure if there has been an incident of electrical shock you call out a qualified electrician as soon as possible to rectify the problem so no further incidents can happen. Metro Electrical 24 Hour Electricians is available 24/7 so call us and we will be there to tend to any electrical emergency.

Some handy tips to keep you safe in your home.

  • Extension leads are for temporary use not permanent use. So do not use an extension lead permanently attached to any electrical appliance give us a call at Metro Electrical 24 Hour Electricians and we can install extra power outlets in no time at all.
  • If you have to use an extension lead temporarily then make sure that they do not run across doorways or under rugs that a person might trip over it. Never use an extension lead to major appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers, fridges, portable ovens or stoves, or air conditioning units as they cause the lead to overheat and can cause a fire. If you have light switches and power outlets that look worn, loosely attached or discoloured they can be dangerous. Call us at Metro Electrical 24 Hour Electricians and we can get all these switched replaced and wiring tested to make sure you and your family are not in danger of electrical shock.
  • Flickering lights usually means that there is a possible loose wire and is shorting out. This can lead to fire in your home and also electrical shock. Do not take the chance and call us to come and replace and check all your home for unsafe wiring.
  • Check all electrical blankets for wear before use in winter.
  • Clean all dust, lint and fluff around motors and exhaust fans.
  • Clean out lint in dryers.
  • Make sure all electrical appliances do not get wet.
  • Do not piggy back double adaptors.
  • Use childproof plugs in all power outlets so nothing can get poked in them.
  • Lookout for overhead power lines when working outside with anything tall.
  • Dial before you dig especially for underground power. Call 1100.
  • Get your safety switches tested.